Lung Cancer Awareness
Submitted by claire on November 6, 2007 - 6:41am
Did you know?
- Lung cancer causes as many deaths as breast cancer, bowel cancer and leukaemia put together
- There are 1.2 million cases of lung cancer diagnosed per year worldwide and 1.1 million deaths.
- Although smoking is a major risk factor for lung cancer, it is not the only cause.
- Passive smoking is now recognised as a major contributor to lung cancer.
- 10–15% of people with lung cancer have never smoked.
- Lung cancer kills more people than any other cancer, yet in terms of research it is the most poorly funded.
- Lung cancer can affect anyone, at any age and there has been a big increase in the number of women affected.
- Lung cancer does not have to be a death sentence – new treatments are being developed all the time. If caught early enough, lung cancer may be curable.